Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Stereotypes

Stereotypical Russian?
I am scared of Russians. 

I know what you are thinking...

"Well that's kinda of problem K since you are going to be studying abroad in RUSSIA, and Russians are typically found in Russia." 

My mom brought up the subject the other day. 

"You don't wanna go to Russia, its cold and the people there never smile

Then I thought about it some and she was right. Look at American culture, the stereotypical Russian is a rather large man who is serious, mean and an alcoholic. O and who wears one of those fur hats with the ear covers.  They give off an aura of coldness (physically cold and emotionally that it) and they rarely smile. Pretty much the exact opposite of myself, okay most maybe a bit of the alcoholic part is true. But all and all the culture is completely different. Southern ladies have a reputation for their hospitality and their tactfulness. They are small, dainty and dressed to the nines.  

That all being said I still want to go to Russia and I still plan on going to Russia come January. Breaking stereotypes is what this trip is all about. Going outside of my comfort zone, living spontaneously. Seeing what the world has to offer... what the hell could it hurt? I certainly have nothing to lose. 

Just a thought
~K


No comments:

Post a Comment